Sunday, October 5, 2008

"I want you to write about God" - February 2007

Dum Dum Duuuuuuummmmmmm.....

My views on God? Why, yes.

I believe in a higher power. Life is too simple to think otherwise. Life is also too complicated to think that we're wise enough.

Life has a certain sort of synchronicity to it when our focus lies on higher ground. I can sit and lay out my plans and goals and feel really really (I mean really) in control of my place in the grand scheme. The next day, my car has mysteriously decided to "leave" the place it was parked the night before, my place of employment no longer has a place for me, someone walks in off the street and decides my apartment needs to be a condo, and boom. I'm in Akron.

Suddenly, things that used to make so much sense are now disenchanting. Down is Up. I didn't make it this way. Thank the Big Guy. (or Big Thing, or...just Big. Whatever.)

Life changes in the blink of an eye. I could lose my leg tomorrow and be forced to choose a new profession. But the most interesting thing is that it seems God has already mapped me out a different path - one that at the moment, is infinitely more thrilling.

It's human nature to live in a state of wonder and awe. There have been millions and millions of things in life to provide us with endless amazement and of course, that blissful sense of insignificance.

My dear friend put it best..."my life became more content the moment I realized that I'm OK with being insignificant."

God is significant, and God is in each of us, all the time. God is love. Our bodies, our souls, our path in life will eventually be forgotten. Two billion years from now, no one will remember what seems so important today. We may try daily to recreate our moments of drama and ego-generated nonsense, but time tells the truth.

You ask me to write about God, and I answer -- it's all about God.

Even the waste at the airport.


No comments: